An evening dress is more than a casual attire that you wear every day. These dresses are worn only on special occasions and kept till they are needed again. Also, considering how much time is taken into choosing them and the price you pay compared to the everyday outfit, evening dresses are often considered investments.
This is why special procedures have to be taken when caring for your evening dress. This article will teach you some of these procedures to make the job easier. You can also click here to learn more.
How to Care for Your Evening Dress
Caring for evening dresses often go beyond the seasonal dry-cleaning. Before putting your dress on, there are things to consider to prevent stains from grease, cosmetics, and other blemishes. Some of them are listed below.
- Make sure that you apply all cosmetics products, including deodorants, hairspray, and moisturizers, and give them enough time to dry before putting on the dress. This is so that they do not cause stains on the clothe.
- If you spill something on your dress, don’t hurriedly try to get the stain off by cleaning it with your hands. Instead, wipe the affected area with a damp towel. This way, the damage is restricted to that part and does not spread to other areas to ruin the delicate fibers.
- Avoid accessories that are not in good condition or are not suitable for delicate clothing. For example, you do not want to put on a bracelet or a necklace with gemstones or attachments that could snag and ruin your evening dress.
- If you are wearing pencil heels with a long dress beyond ankle-length, make sure that you can walk comfortably in them. You do not want your dress to get caught in your shoes, causing you to trip.
After Wearing Your Evening Dress
When the event is over, there are more steps that could help you care for your evening dress. They include;
- Even if there are no spills or stains, you need to clean your evening gown after an evening out. This is because the stains you cannot see, including sweat stains, can oxidize over time and form permanent marks. Also, because your dress will be stored for a lengthy period before you wear it again, you need to make sure that it is kept in pristine condition and free from spills that will attract insects and vermin.
- When cleaning your gown, make sure to read the label that specifies the method to follow. If it says to dry-clean, then you need to take it to a professional. Following the specified approach ensures that you do not adopt a different method that will ultimately ruin your dress.
- After dry-cleaning your evening dress, do not store it in a plastic bag. These bags trap moisture against your cloth, causing mold and mildew. Also, keeping your clothes or leaving in in sunlight will cause them to fade and lose quality.
The best option is to keep your dress in breathable bags or cover it with a white cloth to protect it from mildew, dust, and sunlight.
Caring for your evening dress is an essential part of preserving its quality. This article has listed some tips to help you.